Welcome to AP Literature and Composition. I'm so looking forward to reading and writing and thinking with you this coming year. Here is our summer reading:

You will read (at least) two novels from the following list:

·   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey

·   Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

·   The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne

·   David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

·   Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison

·   Beloved, Toni Morrison

·   Catch 22, Joseph Heller

Read at least one more great piece of literature: your choice. It can be another one of the above, or any other book that you think is in that league. What makes a great piece of literature, anyway?

Three books in all.

As you finish each book,

1.   Create a thread on the Summer Reading Discussion board consisting of an open-ended discussion question, something that you think will provoke deep thought about the book.

2.   Answer your own question in 200-300 words. Make specific reference to at least TWO MOMENTS in the book.

3.   Also reply (in 200-300 words) to at least one discussion question somebody else has posted. When you do, be sure to respond to the ideas of students who have previously posted in that thread. Again, make specific reference to at least TWO MOMENTS in the book.

4.  When you're replying about "another book of literary merit," look for a prompt that relates to your book as well as the one it was written about. What does your book have to say about that question? How's that seem to comment on your classmate's book? Engage in the dialogue.

5.   Print out your contributions to the discussion, and bring your work to class.

You will post, in other words, at least 6 times: twice for each book. Have fun as you do this! The point is to engage in conversation about a great book (a conversation that's been raging since it was first written), to think deeply, to take pleasure in the life of your mind.

The technology:

2.   On this page, click on Visitor Login, in the top right corner of the discussion board box.

3.   Make an account for yourself, giving name, e-mail address, username, and password.

4.   Go to your e-mail and click the link to validate your account.

5.   Sign in to create your threads and to post your replies.

If, for whatever reason, you can't do the technology:

Write three open-ended discussion questions for each of the three books you read. Answer each of your nine discussion questions in 200-300 words.

In either case, I'll be looking at the extent to which you explore the deep ideas the book raises, the excitement and fascination your interaction with these texts generates.

If you have any questions over the summer, email me at john.kissingford@dcsdk12.org . You might have to wait a day or two for a response. I imagine that most you will be able to problem-solve most issues. I will, however, be glad to clarify anything for you.

Remember your online manners: civility, kindness, decency, brilliance…

Enjoy !

Mr. Kissingford

Board Threads Posts Last Post
AP Literature and Composition - Summer Reading Discussion
14 28
8/12/2013 4:00pm
by Yadira Luzardo
23 47
8/15/2012 6:31am
by Kyle fadBAD!9911 Elliott
6 13
8/14/2012 3:55am